How to use a plunge router?
One of the most versatile electric and carpentry tools available for carpentry work is the router and you have to know how to use a plunge router. The router usually comes in two forms, the fixed and plunge base router.
The router used by many woodworkers is a plunge router. When you are shopping for the plunge router for yourself or for someone else, then keep the end result of this guide in your mind. In this guide, we will provide you the basic information about the plunge router, and how to use a plunge router in detail.
What is a plunge router?
The plunge router deserves a better place in each shop. Routing shores like inlay pattern work, stopped dados and mortising is easier and safer to perform with the help of plunge router. The unique base of the plunge router allows the motor housing to drive up & down on each post which is fixed to the base.
The router designed to offer more versatility than that of fixed router especially while working with the changing depths of the wood. The router is more expensive because of versatile features related to an effective routing process.
A plunge router is an effective tool that adds more detail to your woodwork and makes the custom trim pieces for you. If you want to create your own attractive trim, then add amazing work to crown molding.
Importance of Plunge router:
A plunge router is an excellent carpentry tool for both professionals and beginners. It enables you to makes anything with the help of a pile of wood. The router has variable speed, little less peak horsepower and soft starts that helps in eliminating any damaging of the material during the cutting process.
Advantages of the Plunge routers:
Plunge routers are handy while working on the top section of a brad because it makes the cut easier and secure. Some advantages of plunge routers are:
1) It offers you the freedom of modifying the cutting death during the process. Just need to press or release the arms of the router base to make the task speedy and convenient.
2) While using plunge routers, work can make the cuts un a middle of a stock. It will also provide you to control movement while moving in a vertical direction.
3) Plunge routers are versatile tools. You can easily use these routers for different purposes ranges from smooth fluting, groove to dadoes, and mortices.
4) A router is a perfect tool for wood signs. You just need to draw letters on a stock and then plunge the wood router for secure routing.
Cons of a plunge router:
The things which exist in this world are coming up with both benefits and harmful features. Similar to the case exists with a plunge router. Some of the cons while using plunge routers are:
– The router is relatively expensive. A plunge router is a more costly power tool as compare to a fixed based router. The versatility of the router makes this more expensive than stationary routers.
– The overall design and mechanism of a router is awkward while mount it on the fixed table based.
Characteristics of the best plunge router:
Before learn about “How to use a plunge router?”, we focus on some of the features that indicate the best plunge router.
The more power of the router machine gives better coping with a harder material, deeper cuts, and larger diameter. The powerful. the heavy and large router would be difficult to handle delicate and light work.
The range of machine speed is from 800-30,000RPM. The modern routers come with variable speed motors having 6-6 positions. The variable speed control depends on the side of the cutter used and the material being cut.
The collet size determines the cutter shank size that can be fitted. Different sizes of the collet are 6, 6.35, 8 mm and 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inches. The size of the collet fitted with model depends on the machine power. For light-duty routers, the collet size is 1/4 inch, medium router the collet size is 3/8 inch and heavy duty has 1/2 inch.
The base plate positions a cutter at the right-angles to the wood, sometime along the straight edge, etc. Most of these plates have thin plastic facing beneath.
There are usually two-side hand grips on a motor housing. These should be position near to base plate to provide better balance and operator control. These handles should be bulbous and nice so that you feel it comfortable in your hand.
The spindle of the plunge router motor needs to be locked while changing the cutter. For release collet, you have required open-ended spanner. This spindle lock has a simple push-and-hold mechanism which stops the spindle to rotate when a spanner used to release collet.
How to use a plunge router? Best guideline
Many of the homeowners will use the plunge router to cut the sink space in a countertop and area for the door hinge. Plunge routers are handy and versatile in “how to use a plunge router”?. Some of the tips regarding the correct uses of routers are mentioned below.
Here what things will be needed by you?
- Router Bits
- Plunge router
Step one: Set in a plunge router bit:
The router bits come on different shapes and sizes. The bits can give you straight cutting, curved surfaces, beveled edges, groove, and tongue joinery. It is very important to choose the right plunge router bit which will be used for your routing project.
After selection of the bit, you will require to turn the wood router upside down. Now push the spindle-release button near a top of a plunge router. Loosen a spindle nut with the help of wrench provided by a manufacturer along with the product. Near the slot, there is spindle that can slip a wrench through and tighten the bit in a clockwise direction. Ensure that the spindle is tight but not so much tighten it.
Step two- Clamp workpiece to a stable surface:
As we know that the router bit will be spin at the high-speed rate. It is very important to clamp the wood to the sturdy and durable work table. After the successful hitting of the plunge router with wood or workpiece, it will have the ability to turn the wood rather of digging into it. When your workpiece is secured, the router will seamlessly enter the piece without causing any problems.
Step-3 Set the depth of a plunge router
Set the router in its proper side and set the accurate depth want by you to cut the groove. For this purpose, press the depth guide for releasing the springs which hold a bottom plate properly. Push-up on a plate guide until the desired depth would not achieve. For precise measurement, use a ruler. Release a depth guide lever. It will help you to lock a button plate in proper place.
Step-4: Set plunge into position:
Set the router where there is a need to make the first cut. Push the button on a handle to plunge the router bit into the wood piece. It makes very easy and comfortable to set a plunge router int any position without damaging the wood.
Step-5 Plunge bit into the wood piece:
After setting the position of routers, plug it. Grab the plunge router by both of the handles and see at the positioning of the bit with the help of view slot. Now press a power button to begin the spinning of the router and hold a plunge button on a handle. It will enable you to plunge the router bit into the workpiece with your own speed. Now provide some pressure to dig the router bit into desire depth. Now release button and run the router over a workpiece smoothly.
Ideas to use a plunge router most effectively:
The question comes in mind of most of the woodworkers that How to use a plunge router more effectively in their carpentry work. The plunge routers are just like “TV remote controls” having lots of buttons and functions. But due to unfamiliar with the use of these functions, only a few people understand the full capabilities of plunge routers. The unique ideas about the use of plunge routers effectively are given below:
It is very important and convenient for a small carpentry shop because the plunge router is a highly versatile tool. The tool provides an efficient and great result. A plunge router is simple-to-built and easy-to-use mortising jigs. The working pieces of routers consist of 2-adjustable guides as well as an auxiliary baseplate.
For this purposes, you will need a bit which installed in routers and a jig n proper place. First lower a bit to router’s surface, while positioning the jigs in a workpiece. After it reposition jig ss that you can center the jigs on a layout.
You will require the same jig just like mortising. For the versatile dowel settings produce multiple tops with a unique spacing in between these holes. After setting up a jig, then plunge holes just like mortising.
If you wish to hang anything on a wall without using the hanger bracket or wire, you can easily make a slotted keyhole. Keyholes are the best choice because screw and shank head easily slip into a slot and it will be difficult to see them. Most of the router bits are manufactured explicitly for producing different keyhole slots of many sizes.
d) Stopped flutes, dadoes, and grooves
From the field cuts, you should never use a fixed or stationary base router. It is so because it can damage your project and workpiece. With the help of a plunge router, you can easily get your work done quickly. It will be faultless if the user you add stops at every end. Just use the clamp on either straightedge and edge guide which is prepared by a unit’s manufactured.
The effective way to produce the tight-filling inlays is only possible by plunge router. By using templates with the bearing-guided or guide bushings, you will able to eliminate any chance of veering-off program. With the help of store-bought kits, you can route a recess whether the inlay works to repair a flaw in a plank of wood or for decoration.
f) Circle routing:
Another use of the plunge router is circle routing. For this purpose, place the router on the trammel arm which circles 1-point. The effective circle routing is done without any help of a saw. Users can also cut out a workpiece quickly from a massive unfinished wood piece.
g) Sign making:
Sign making is a simple idea which requires two choices. First of all, users need to sign onto or draw the letters n finish wood. After that rout free-hand all along the lines.
Important tips for using a plunge router:
Some tips should keep in your mind while using the plunge router for the carpentry work. We hope these tips will provide you detailed information about the effective usage of a plunge router.
- Just like a fixed or stationary base router, a plunge router can also b used in the router table. However, It may be difficult to adjust the height properly.
- It is very important to read the whole instruction manual regarding the use of wood router thoroughly, comes along with a router. Go with pieces ad any other accessories which came with the product before use the plunge router. It will be useful for you because if you first read the whole instruction, then it will give you more chances of successful routing.
- Makes lots of passes on a deep cut. Attempts to produce one deep pass on the rabbit joint and dadoes will bod-down your wood router. Some other problems also occur like kick back and uneven cuts.
- What should do before start cutting by using a plunge router?
Safety measure that should be taken while using a plunge router:
- Always wears goggles, face shield, appropriate hearing protection, and safety glasses while using the plunge router.
- Make sure that the router bits are securely mounted in the base and chunk is tight enough.
- Before making any adjustments or changing router bits, then disconnect the power supply. Inspect router bits carefully and safety before installing them.
- Should have secure stock. Never reply on the second person as well as on yourself to hold or support the material. Sudden kickback or torque from a plunge router will cause severe injury and damage.
- Remember to put the router base on your work, guide or template
- Make sure that the router bit can freely rotate before switch on your router motor.
- Keep all of the cords secure and clear from the cutting and working area.
- Check your stock thoroughly like nails, screws, staples and all other foreign objects before using a plunge router.
Things Do to work with router safely:
Following things should be done to work with a plunge router safety. Protection and safety measure should be taken to use the router effectively. – Do not overreach and keep proper footing and a good balance from a router.
- While routing inside, start a motor with a router bit above a stock. When the plunge router reaches at the full power, just lower bit to the required depth.
- While routing outside edges, make sure that your guide the plunge router in an anticlockwise direction around the carpentry work.
- Try to hold both of your hands on the router handles, until or unless the motor stopped.
- Never set the router down till an exposed router bit stop turning.
- When molding, routing bevels or other edges work, try to ensure that router bit is properly in contact with stock and is pointed in the right cutting direction.
- With knotty, twisted and hardwood wood, cutting can be very slow
We hope this article is enough to provide you better information regarding “How to use a plunge router effectively”. So, in brief, ending description, the plunge router has the springs that allow it motor to easily move up and down.
The locking lever will hold the plunge router in its place, once the router set to the needed depth. The plunge base router is designed so that the user can preset the cutting depth and then plunged the router bit into the cut via the router’s base flat on a surface of a material.
With the plunge router, you have a better opportunity to engage the material. It helps to customize your work according to your own will. The only downside to this router us that it may be less accurate due to the movement of cutting bit. The plunge routers are user-friendly but relatively expensive than those of fixed router.
The precautionary measure should be taken to work effectively by using a plunge router. So, for fast and perfect routing purchase your new plunge router now.