How to use a wood router?
If you are new in the woodworking field then you don’t know how to use a wood router, you have heard the word “Wood routers” but maybe you are not familiar with them at all. The Article will provide you the basic information about what are wood routers and how to use a wood router for daily work. You can make everything with the router and the pile of wood. Get knowledge about the use of a wood router is rewarding because Wood routers allow users to add unique style to wood projects just like professionals.
What are wood routers?
A wood router is an important tool for the woodshop. It is so because of the flexibility of routers in bit configuration. These routers can create splines, dadoes, moldings, and profiles. It is a powerful tool of wood that used to cut the surface of wooden items. It can be used for decorating the surface of timber, decorate the edges and cut out chases hidden sides of timber to hide pipes, and cables.
The router is used as the unique decorative woodworking tool and become the more multipurpose wood machining tool available in the market. The router is perfect for cut, shape and groove wood material and It can also be used to produce the joins between 2-sections of wood like skirting boards, architrave making, staircase construction, and cabinet making.
Purpose of Wood router:
The main purpose of a wood router is in carpentry and woodworking so the tool is commonly used as the plunging tool and inverted in the router table. There are many wood router styles available in the market like plunge, double knob handled and D-handled router.
What does wood router do?
Wood routers are the staple tools in the woodshop and work with power tools perfectly. It is so because the wood router is extremely versatile and unique for cutting joints, flattening huge wood slabs, shaping the edges of boards and joining the edges for the perfect glue joints
The wood router consists of a motor that is mounted in either the plunge base or fixed base and the collet is attached to the end side of the motor’s shaft which holds the router bit.
The wood routers are used on the flat piece of wood material to making a unique design with the help of clamps. The design is the first design on wood to make the tracing quicker and easier. The wood routers give the exact replicas easier.
The process of routing:
Routing is one of the most speedy processes of shaping, trimming and cutting the metal, plastic, wood and other material so the wood routing is the shaping procedure used to creates finish shapes and edges.
Few materials are difficult to route, for these materials various routing techniques are used to get a neat finish. For light work, a wood router is a perfect option than that of spindle molder. It gives you a much cleaner and quicker job.
Types of the router:
Routers can be divided into two main categories. One is fixed base and other is plunge base. On the fixed base side, once the bit is in, the base is being locked. The bit in a fixed base is always in a fixed position that means the depth of the router is set and will always stay set. On the other hand, in the plunge base router, the bit can be easily locked in the router. You can then plug- it in and out of material.
Following are some classification of routers on the basis of power.
- 400-600W power is usually required for light work
- 750-1200W power is required for medium work
- 1250W and above power is required for heavy work.
Basic information about routers:
Router machining speed ranges from 800-30,000 RPM. The wood router should have 2-handles each side for the strong grip and control as well. The router has a smooth base-plate that allows the wood router to travel the wood over it when you are machining.
The plunge depth and cutting depth of a blade will vary for different routers. If you using the plunge router, then it is necessary to take little depth at every pass of the wood router.
Keep in your mind:
The motor of a wood router will burn out soon if you took more depth and the plunge routers can easily be locked for ensuring that for each pass the same depth is used to stays blade on the wood.
The base plate of the wood router has a flat side to keep the cut straight. It is run along the fence and clamped the wood in proper place.
Uses of wood routers:
Routers are the quickest method for the perfect cutting of various type of woodworking joints. With the help of correct jigs which can make by an individual in his or her shop or purchase, the router takes the better position other than a power tool.
Some types of joints made with the help of the router are given below:
- Cope and stick joints
- Tenons and Mortise
- Finger and box joints
- Lock miter joints
Besides all of these, the wood routers are also used for many other awesome woodworking tasks like:
- Shaping edges
- Routing inlays
- Cutting circle
- Creating the raised panels for furniture and doors
- Flush trimming and laminate edges
- Boring holes
- Leveling or surfacing slabs or boards which are wide for the jointer
Understanding How to use a wood router?
Safety is the first and foremost consideration while using the router as the perfect tool cuts with high-speed ad unguarded rotating blade. It is very important to have full preparation before the use of the wood router.
If you are looking for effective routing, then always keeps in mind the following unique approaches.
- Secure your work:
Always make sure that the wood you are currently working on is protectively and securely fixed in proper place before the routing process. Unsecured things or item can move and damage your routing work. It also is a danger to your self or your loved one.
- Sharp blades:
It is very important to have sharp blades. It will make the quality finish of the product in a much superior way. It makes an easier cutting of the work done by you. It is very important to purchase the router machine that provides an easy way to route your woodwork.
- Clamped fence:
If you’re routing the straight run, then use the clamped fence to keep your wood router straight. It will make your routing easier and provide you ease to work with your woodworking job.
- Free-hand routing action:
If you have a better level of the practical skills with your wood router, then you will be able to take the more adventurous actions of free-hand routing. Try to learn those skills that will provide you the best level of routing.
Remember Some points about how to use a wood router?
Some of the important points about how to use a wood router are given below:
- While using the router and it is very important to feed your wood router from left side to right. It will provide information about the cutter’ blade position by making the correct contact with a wood that is machined so the blade will easily turn in a clockwise direction.
- Always make sure that never force the wood router with the help of timber. It is so because it will burn wood, because of the quicker speed of blades.
- Many modern routers come with the “Dust extraction hoods”. These hoods are positioned around a cutter blade that enables you to remove debris and dust particles.
- It is very important to clean all kinds of wood debris and dust after finishing your work. Sliding or moving arts becomes clogged and it will not allow the wood router to work properly.
The use of the router is very common for jobs on-site and around the home. The router is a very suitable tool used for many application because of its superior and quicker finish.
Safety uses of wood routers:
Some of the safety tips while using wood routers are:
- Switch off the wood router or isolate it from the main supply while making adjustment or change cutters of the routers.
- Ensure that a power cable keep away from the range of cutter and it cannot catch or tangle on the jig, fittings, and workpiece.
- Before connecting your router again with power supply, make sure that the power switch is at “off” position.
- Before start cutting, make sure that the clamps do not obstruct the router path. While using the full thickness wood, ensure that the woodcutter never foul the bench edge, vice and other hindrances underneath the wood.
- When routing, the stable and flat work table is very important and essential for smooth and secure routing.
- Before starting routing, always use eye protection accessories like goggles and ear defenders, in case of longtime routing.
- Roll your sleeves up and ensure to tied back your long hair tightly.
- Keep your fingers clear of a cutter. Don’t touch any router part to stop or slow the cutter.
- Release the lock of plunge lock when possible and retract a cutter.
- Before making adjustments, make sure that the router is detached with the power and is completely stop.
- Never switch on your wood router with a cutter in contact with a workpiece or wood.
- While handling cutting, a precautionary measure should be taken because they are sharp. Store these cutters carefully.
- Whenever possible, use dust extraction. Most of the routers contain dust guards as an accessory or standard.
Important accessories of Wood routers:
Holding the work:
For holding your routing, following clamps are used:
- Quick and easy action clamps are very operative for an effective holding jig and workpiece to a bench so this clamp can be positioned in a few seconds.
- Trend clamp is perfect for hold, preparation and assembles large sections.
- End sockets lamps are used and when there is a requirement of the obstruction-free surface. These clamps can offer you 9mm hole in wood or waste-piece material.
- Toggle clamps are used where there is a requirement of repeated clamping like on support jigs or work-holders.
Blocks, wedges, and cams used with the sacrificial top are more practical and appropriate of the workpiece is large with an irregular surface. In any situation, if clamps or any other mechanical devices are unfeasible and impractical and then pins are used. Hot-melted glue and double-sided tap also used if the wood is spoiled by clamps. Both glue and tape work well if the material is dust free, clean and flat.
The template is used to simplify the demanding copy in routing operations. It is the accurate procedure of speed-up repetitive work. The template reduces the damaging risk of expensive material. The template use provides you a better solution for difficult operations.
The guide bushes are used to provide the guideline to wood router around a template. The guide bush contains bush flange and that is concentric to a cutter. The bush flange work against the template edge. With the help of guide bush, you can easily cut the template from the smooth sheet of material. The depth of material should be larger and than the depth of flange of a guide bush.
Router tables provide you complex, precise and accurate cuts which are not possible with the handheld router. The router and fence provide the stability for wood and allows to use your both hands to properly guide the piece into a bit. It is very important to look for router tables that come with gauge slots and fence which can securely lockdown.
Router circle cutting jigs:
Router circle cutting jigs and trammels provide you the perfect cut in the form of 360-degree circles of many radii with straight bit and router. The routers can easily cut the circles in wood material that jigsaws and any other woodworking tools.
Dovetail and joinery jigs:
Dovetail, mortise & tenon jigs can easily be used to retreat parts of joints types. These jigs are simple and unique complex tools or single-piece templates with the adjustable fingers. The adjustable fingers allow you to cut the huge range of joint shapes and sizes.
Sign making jigs and templates:
Sign making jigs purchase to grip templates in proper place during the routing process. Sign making templates are usually letter-shaped accessories which reused with a wood router to carve lettering for signs. They are used with the guide bushes and keep the router on the proper track.
Router edge guides:
Router edge guides offer the router to positioned repeatedly at the set location from workpiece edge. The edge guide includes the fence which rid against the edge of a workpiece. The wood router is attached to a fence via metal rods which are fitted in standard holes attachment of the router base. The setup offers to rout flutes, mortises, grooves parallel with the edge of a workpiece.
How to setup & use a handheld router?
As we know that by setting up a wood router properly and gives you the best result from the woodworking tool. Set up and using the wood router is not so complicated but it is very important to take precautionary measure around a bit.
Following steps should be taken to use a handheld router for shaping edges and routing dado, rabbet, and groove.
- Ensure that the router is unplugged:
Never change the router bit when router plugged in and these bits provide much damage to your fingers just like a table saw blade. So, it is important to save your body.
- Select a correct size collet for a bit:
If your router contains many sizes of collets to pick bits, then select only one sized collet for a bit to use it perfectly.
- Install bit firmly in collets:
Always make sure that the collet is tight. It is so because if the collet is not tight, then the bit would come out or slip from the collet but keep in mind that you do not tighten the collet nut because it may deform collet.
How to tighten the collet?
You will easily tight collet with the help of finger. Then use the collet wrenches for tightening the and many routers come with one wrench only but also contain the spindle lock which is depressed for keeping the spindle from rotating as the collet nut is tightened by you.
It is very important to insert the bit and the bit is an only ¼ inch from a collet nut face. So, to remove the bit difficulty but make sure to insert the bit in such a way and that should be stuck properly.
We hope the article will provide you sensible knowledge about the types of routers, How to use a wood router and safety measure was taken while using a wood router for your project. Every bit, routing accessories mentioned above are used to provide different shape and makes your routing process amazing. For more information, visit our website that gives you more detailed about the uses of routers in your daily life.